Last week we saw the introduction of Delaware's "Civil Union and Equality Act of 2011", which allows same-gender couples to have the rights and responsibilities on the state level that accrue to opposite-sex marriage. There is a nice article on the issue in today's Wilmington News Journal, at http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110328/NEWS/103280337/CIVIL-UNION-DEBATE-CREATES-GREAT-DIVIDE?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home.
The bill is now in the state Senate's Administrative Services/Elections Committee. To continue its progress and ultimately be successful, it must, as the first step, be voted out of that Senate committee, and be allowed to the Senate floor for a vote.
Three of the members of the committee are sponsors of our Civil Unions bill, so please prioritize contacting the other three members of the committee who are not sponsors and who have not publicly declared their support for the bill:
• Senator Joseph.Booth@state.de.us 302-744-4117
• Senator Dave.Lawson@state.de.us 302-492-1511
• Senator Robert.Marshall@state.de.us 302-744-4168
BOTH the State Senator and the State Representative for your district NEED TO HEAR from each registered voter in their district that supports the Civil Union bill.
Go to http://de-civilunions.danieljackoway.com/ to find their contact info, and for a sample script for what to say.
Don't delay, please do this as soon as possible.
• If you do nothing else, it is vital that you contact Senators Booth, Lawson, and Marshall and ask them to at least let the bill go onto the full Senate floor for a vote.
• For further information and help, visit Equality Delaware and "like" Equality Delaware on Facebook.
• Feel free to forward this email, but only to friends and allies, not to your entire address book. Anti-equality persons should not receive this, and spam is unhelpful.
Thank you for helping Delaware move toward equality!