Tuesday, June 23, 2009

06/23/2009--Letter to Senator Carper

I have friends going to Washington DC on Thursday, who will take my hand-written letter to hand-deliver to our pal Tom Carper. There are buses leaving from New Castle County.

TO ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN GOING ON THURS. JUNE 25TH PLEASE CONTACT DARLENE BATTLE 302-588-1782 OR JENNIFER HILL 302-293-8682. THERE WILL BE A BUS LEAVING FROM WILMINGTON AND ONE LEAVING FROM NEWARK. THIS IS TOO IMPORTANT SO PASS THE WORD TO ALL YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS!

You can go to www.StandwithDrDean.com/LastChance and sign an online petition urging the inclusion of a nationwide, government-administered health insurance program (Medicare for all).

My letter reads:

Dear Senator Carper,

I am writing to urge you to support the healthcare proposal backed by President Obama. I am most concerned with your lack of support, recently, for the public option, a Medicare-like government-run healthcare option available to Americans under 65 years of age, such as myself.

I am a self-employed business owner, with seven other employees. I cannot currently afford to provide healthcare coverage for my employees, due to the high cost of our current system that lacks a public option.

I have heard that you only support a state-wide or regional-based quasi-public option. I consider this ill-advised. One of the reasons that Medicare can keep their costs so much lower than private insurance companies is scale. Scale would be lost if the ‘collectives’ were each only 5% or so the size of a single collective, as embodied by the public option that I urge you to support.

I encourage you to closely review the very recent New York Times/CBS News poll, which showed that 72% of respondents (including 87% of Democrats, 73% of Independents, and even 50% of Republicans) support a ‘government administered health insurance plan like Medicare.’

Delaware has elected you to represent our state in Washington DC. Please do so, and start working to solve our health care crisis. Please begin by strongly supporting a nationwide, public health insurance option.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Respectfully,

No comments: